How Is Alimony Calculated in a Divorce
There are five things you should keep in mind when calculating alimony in a divorce.
- The standard of living that you had during the marriage. This is all of your expenses broken down into a monthly amount
- If any of those expenses are considered extravagant or over-spending, those numbers may be brought down to a more realistic, “need” number.
- What is the income of the person who is going to be receiving alimony?
- Now you’re left with a number.
- What is the other spouse’s ability to pay?
Although there are only five steps to calculate alimony, I will tell you that in most of my cases, alimony is one of the most contested issues in a divorce. If you have any questions regarding alimony or divorce, please reach out to me for a complimentary strategy session.